Tips for Being Prepared at Work
Department Safety Plan
The following are the basic building blocks for the development of a departmental safety plan:
- Identify the physical security needs of the department
- Discuss and coordinate emergency strategies with department employees
- To the extent possible, arrange for limited and authorized access to the affected work area
- Establish protocol for calling the Police (emergency/non-emergency)
- Develop prearranged office procedures to alert others to the need for help
- Develop a procedure to cease normal operations and secure the premises
- Outline emergency evacuation procedures
- Evaluate the need for security alarm, panic button, surveillance cameras, security personnel, etc.
Employees should mentally "map out" a personal survival strategy in the event of workplace violence.
Workplace violence incidents will differ greatly and each situation will dictate a different response. The particular circumstances of a given situation will suggest which of, and in which order, the following should occur:
- Report to the Police by dialing 9-1-1 at the safest opportunity
- Alert others (signals, codes, alarms)
- Activate prearranged safety and security plan
- Secure surroundings, lock doors
- If appropriate, evacuate employees/leave the area
Source: UC Santa Cruz Human Resources
For a department security assessment, contact Rob Romero in the UCSB Police Department.